What are Ozlandish Writings?

From July 2010 to December 2014 we ran OZLAND PICTURE STORIES as described below. Sadly though the number of writers reduced over the years and we decided to call it a day. We leave these as a record of the good times we had.

Are "You" ready to challenge your writing skills? Then participate in our OZLAND Picture Stories writing series at The Ozland Art Gallery.

Each month a new picture will be picked, from our OZLAND Artist of the Month collection, with different themes. Your goal is to write a 500-1000 word... poem... essay... or story about the picture picked. This is a chance for you to challenge your writing skills each month. Story can be written in ANY genre... sci fi... romance... ghost... fantasy... fiction... non-fiction... biography... mystery... historical... whatever your writing genre... feel free to experiment. Send your writing inworld to Sven Pertelson as a notecard to have it included on the web site. We meet at the The Ozland Art Gallery each Wednesday at Noon and 6pm SLT to read the latest submissions on voice. More Information


Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"Marooned at Sea" by Llola Lane PART 1

"Marooned at Sea" by Llola Lane PART 1

Today I am back on my inner tube, floating in the water of my favorite spot. I allow my arms and legs to hang off the edge of the tube and into the cool water. I look up at the sky and see my zoo. It is still there... the birds... the butterfly... the bears... all my animals are safe in the zoo. I stare up at the sky and my eyes lids slowly close. It is so peaceful, before long I drift off to sleep. I dream of my zoo. When I waken my body aches, I am miles from the shoreline, and have no idea where I am!

This time I am marooned for real. There will be no butterflies or swans to come to my rescue. I am on my own. I sit up and twirl myself around in a circle looking for the shoreline. I know it is there... somewhere! My arms and legs hurt. They are sunburned so I cool them off with the water. I rub my neck. It hurts too from being in an odd position as I slept on the inner tube. Where am I? How long had I been asleep? I look up at the sun, high in the sky. It was lower when I fell asleep, of that I am sure. I don't know how much lower, but from what I can figure I'd been asleep for at least an hour or two.

I let the waves carry me where they will. I have to get my barrings... The sun rises in the east... and sets in the west. Is the current taking me to the sun, or away from it? I can't tell. I am beginning to panic. "Calm down" I tell myself. "There's no need to panic... yet."

My parents will come looking for me. I know they will. I just need to hold out until they find me. But do they know where my favorite spot is? hum... My mind races through every conversation we have had. Did I ever tell them where it was? I can't remember.

At least the clouds have started to gather, it will be cooler now. I'm sure glad I didn't wear my bikini. The shorts and top keep me from getting too sunburned. WHY had I let myself fall asleep? It was sooo peaceful. Too peaceful, but it was good to get away from work... family... and the bills! I needed the rest but now I am not so sure it was worth the nap.

I twist my hair up into a bun. It is hot even though the clouds are rolling in. It looks like I may be in for some rain. It will cool me down. There are no sharks in these waters so I don't have to worry about being eaten alive. What a weird thing to think about. Drowning on the other hand is not a happy prospect either. I need to survive until I am found... or until I reach a shoreline. My eyes strain to see any plant life... any trees... any... anything to let me know that there is land not far from my horizon. I think I spot a tree in the distance but I am not sure.

I start to paddle towards the tree but it quickly fades as I loose track of it when the waves carry me up and down. The water is not peaceful any more and I was right about the rain. Gentle droplets fall on my face. It feels good and I lick the drops that fall on my lips. I am lucky I had a big breakfast. I am not hungry yet but if I don't find the shoreline or get help soon, I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment