What are Ozlandish Writings?

From July 2010 to December 2014 we ran OZLAND PICTURE STORIES as described below. Sadly though the number of writers reduced over the years and we decided to call it a day. We leave these as a record of the good times we had.

Are "You" ready to challenge your writing skills? Then participate in our OZLAND Picture Stories writing series at The Ozland Art Gallery.

Each month a new picture will be picked, from our OZLAND Artist of the Month collection, with different themes. Your goal is to write a 500-1000 word... poem... essay... or story about the picture picked. This is a chance for you to challenge your writing skills each month. Story can be written in ANY genre... sci fi... romance... ghost... fantasy... fiction... non-fiction... biography... mystery... historical... whatever your writing genre... feel free to experiment. Send your writing inworld to Sven Pertelson as a notecard to have it included on the web site. We meet at the The Ozland Art Gallery each Wednesday at Noon and 6pm SLT to read the latest submissions on voice. More Information


Monday, June 25, 2012

Community in OZLAND by Llola Lane

Community in OZLAND by Llola Lane

I live in a kingdom called OZLAND in Second Life. I call it HOME! It is home in every sense of the word. The dictionary defines home as...The place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household. OZLAND and SL both qualify as HOME. I spend half my day in SL. Most of that time is spent helping my residents and friends, exploring, going to concerts, building and making clothing. When my day is finished I return home to the manor.

Lots of people in SL are wanderers... never knowing where they will lay their head at night. I lay mine on my comfee pillow at the manor on my bed in SL. As the computer screen signs me off for the night my brain knows the day is over. When I sign back on in the morning I change out of my jammies and then I am wide awake to start my day in SL. It is comforting for me to know that somewhere in SL there are people awake too, and if I want company all I have to do is look.

When I am not in Second Life I have a normal Real Life. I eat, drink, watch TV, sleep, wash dishes, do laundry, run errands, etc. My SL family are not far from my thoughts. I have many people that I care about and that care about me too. I am so blessed. I do not have many "friends" in RL, but my friends list in SL has over 100. Grant it I don't visit with all those 100+ friends but I do try and say hi now and then. It makes me feel good when I see one of my friends sign on to SL.

Most of the friends I visit often live in the same kingdom as I do. These friends are extra special and we know each other personally. I have even had the privlidge of meeting some of them in RL. Those are the extra special times...when SL and RL merge. When you meet for the first time. Heart racing, sweaty palms, you check your hair, then you hear that familiar voice you've heard for the past 4 years say "hello" and all is well. A long real life hug and you know, all is right. The next 7 days go waaaaay too fast and before you know it you are at the airport to go home grabbing one last hug. You vow that you will see each other the next day in SL.

Some people don't want to meet RL. They think Second Life is a game. To me SL is MORE than a game. A game does not comfort you when you break two fingers and have to wear a cast for 3 weeks. A game does not greet guests for you at events because it hurts too much to type. A game does not listen to you complain about your brokn fingers for hours on end. A game can not give you a hug when you are hurting.

Yes, I am a lucky one. I stare at my list of 100+ friends and make a mental note to IM them more often. After all... without my COMMUNITY of friends I am alone in SL... and... WHAT fun is that???





No comments:

Post a Comment