What are Ozlandish Writings?

From July 2010 to December 2014 we ran OZLAND PICTURE STORIES as described below. Sadly though the number of writers reduced over the years and we decided to call it a day. We leave these as a record of the good times we had.

Are "You" ready to challenge your writing skills? Then participate in our OZLAND Picture Stories writing series at The Ozland Art Gallery.

Each month a new picture will be picked, from our OZLAND Artist of the Month collection, with different themes. Your goal is to write a 500-1000 word... poem... essay... or story about the picture picked. This is a chance for you to challenge your writing skills each month. Story can be written in ANY genre... sci fi... romance... ghost... fantasy... fiction... non-fiction... biography... mystery... historical... whatever your writing genre... feel free to experiment. Send your writing inworld to Sven Pertelson as a notecard to have it included on the web site. We meet at the The Ozland Art Gallery each Wednesday at Noon and 6pm SLT to read the latest submissions on voice. More Information


Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Muddy Elaina - by Maria Decosta

My name, is Maria Andres. This is a name that I have chosen for myself, not the one that was chosen for me at my birth. The day I was born my name was chosen by tradition. Being the first born in my fathers new family I was to be named after him, as he was after his father. It was a proud name, one born by kings and conquerors, poets and presidents. I did my best to live up to and honor it, which for the most part I succeeded, but as the years turned to decades, and the miles stretched to leagues, I was to discover it was not who I truly was.



Thus began a new journey of self discovery to self acceptance, I felt reborn, as a woman. A new name, reflecting my re-birth seemed appropriate and desired. It must be recognizably feminine, but not too girly or frivolous, it had to contain a hint of steel. I narrowed it down to four names; Catherine, Mary, Elizabeth, and Anne. It was the name “Mary” that I kept coming back too. I suddenly remembered a girl that I had met when I was in Truman Elementary School on the island of Key West, that left such an impression on me that I still remember her to this day.


It was the first day of school, students were still arriving to the classroom, so an atmosphere of general gregarious conviviality, typical with a room full of six and seven year olds prevailed. Then I saw this girl, as if she had suddenly appeared out of thin air. She was tall, taller then most of us there, wearing a beautiful dress with ruffles and frills, shiny black hair in spirals and ringlets and ribbons. I felt I was seeing a real Princess for the first time. She was just standing there, looking around at the rest of us with a bit of hauteur, which for her I found completely acceptable. Willing my feet and legs to act, I floated towards her, then dared speak, “Hello, my name is Billy, what's your name”, she turned and impaled me with the most remarkable deep brown eyes I had ever seen, regarding me, as I might regard a Palmetto bug crawling across a Terrazzo floor. Then her eyes became electric and she spoke, “My NAME is Muddy ELAINA!” Then lifting her chin, turned on her heel, and walked away.

A lifetime later, I finally realized. her name was Maria........Maria Elaina.

No comments:

Post a Comment